Thursday, June 30, 2005

So what u do last night?? *yawn*

I'm usually crunk on thursdays. *yawn* Today... i'm just chillin. I'm still happy. I mean really.... how can you be mad on the day before a wonderful friday that just happens to be payday, date night with your significant other, and the night you can sleep in until you feel like it? Exactly.

But i'm just um exhausted. Man, I met with this new group last night to see if i would be interested in singing with them and i didn't leave them until midnight. The talent these 3 singers had was off-da-chain! Like...for real. And as a singer, i don't say that about many people. But this one girl was RAW. I'm talking ...i ain't neva heard a voice like hers. FLAWLESS. Beyonce ain't have NOTHING on this girl. So of course I was like...heck yeah i'll join. Well honestly, I didn't have a choice. lol I was told that i can come "check them out"...which to me means, listen to them, ask questions, shoot the breeze, then decide what was up.
NUNNA that went down. As soon as i step foot in the door, i was greeted by a "hey girl"...a hug..and a mic pushed into my hand. 15 minutes later, I had "learned" about 4 of their songs. I guess they liked me. Everything was great. We sound AMAZING. I'm saying... the 2 girls had some voices on them. "Beyonce" sounded better than the real one. I can't describe her voice... it was so great. Runs like Beyonce and Kim Burrell, power like Whitney (b4 bobby, whitney not "crack is wack" whitney) and Mariah (again, black dress dark hair mariah, not blonde hair, string bikini mariah) clarity like India Arie and softness like Denise Williams. Girl was BAD. I mean she had it all. *end of jock mode* The other girl wasn't as Flawless...but she was bad. She had a Lauren Hill meet Macy Gray thing going on. lol. It was interesting, but i liked it. And ole dude...he sound like um...pretty much like the rest of the r&b male artist. Alluvem. lol So the mix was hott...

And then it happened.

DRAMA.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!!!!!!!!!

I HATE drama. Ole "Beyonce" decided she wanted to get into it with the songwriter/group starter/keyboard player although we had another one/ guy. So they over there getting mad at each other and fussing and fighting... all while in 10 minutes we're supposed to be meeting the producers at "Stankonia", Big Boi's studio....and my behind is new to the group... I'own know the songs!! Stop all ya'll fighting and help me with my doggone NOTE please!!! We're a gospel group. Granted the sound of the music is very neo-soul-ish and jazzy...which is right up my ally. So I was definitely feeling the songs...but c'mon ya'll...are ya'll really LISTENING to the words we're supposed to be singing. How are you gonna be singing "Bow before the King" and then while someone else is singing their part, you up in somebody's face pretty much cursing them out? Huh? I was confused. Is this not a ministry? Is this not God we're talking about? geez.

So i was turned off with that. Aaanywho...we went to tha studio...and honestly... i was like... this is it? this is the studio? Big boi's studio? Hmmm....

Picture it.... Small brick building, one of those black iron screens in front of the door. Raggedy steps..."ghetto grass"...(u know the grass is different in the ghetto) and about 8 dudes outside the joint eating chicken and fries, with some beer in hand. Inside it was 3 guys and a girl, the entire place smelled like "herbs". They all was chinky eyed and eating nachos, tacos, and anything they could get their hands on. And the girl looked like she was a strokers scrippa. She all up on the producer, telling him she ready to go...and he looking irritated that he can't just up and leave cuz he gotta hear us... and there's us... 11 at night... trying to let the producers hear our gospel song. *blink, blink*

There's no need to tell you how it went. They weren't trying to hear gospel...although we sounded WAAAANDAFUL. They gave us props and asked us how far left we were willing to venture cuz they could definitly get us in the studio and out in the business if we considered making it even more contemporary. He gave us a whole spill on whats "marketable" and how we can "all win" if we just compromise this and that...and yada yada...

I had already grabbed my purse by the time he asked how far left we were willing to venture. I pretty much tuned out the rest of his speech. If i wanted to sing R&B, I'd be at LaFace as we speak. I wanna sing GOSPEL. Don't gimme that compromise junk. *Sigh*

So... by the time we got out of that meeting... I was tired. Tired of "Beyonce" and her irritating nagging... tired of being around all that smoke and negative spirits, and tired cuz it's midnight and I had to come to work today. So........

I called TG while driving home. Told him about my night. And then had the nerve to stay on the phone an hour after I got home. *yawn*

But nevertheless... I'm good. I can't wait to get some sleep though. I've already taken 2 - 15 minute power naps in the bathroom and it's just 10:50am. *yawn*

Guess I won't be joining that group unless some thangs change...

No comments:

Intentional

Look at me being all intentional and stuff! lol I WILLED myself to remember and write in this blog before the year was out.  So proud that t...