Thursday, January 22, 2004

The Rules (part II)

We all open up our respected gift bags and begin flipping through the book. No one wants to actually be the first one to begin reading so we all just looked at each other and made small talk until the salad came and Vee said to us, "okay ladies, now let's talk about 'THE RULES'". Upon hearing this, we all grew suddenly quiet and attentive, well, it was upon hearing that AND the fact that Olive Garden has one of the best salads EVER!! Anyway, "The Rules" is basically the woman's guide to attracting, dating, and eventually marrying the man of her dreams. We begin to discuss the rules in depth at the table. There were about 25 of them and each rule seemed to get harder and harder: they were so contrary to your instincts and desires. At first, I thought that this was the DUMBEST BOOK EVER!! The entire time I asked them, "Why do we have to play these games to get a man?" Why are men like this? Why do men like women that do this? I couldn't understand. I mean, the book explained and gave a reason for every rule, but it went against almost everything I was ever taught, I ever thought, I ever felt and I ever did while dating. Then I realized, maybe that's why I'm still single! Ladies...I almost cried when I went home because I never thought I'd be able to become a "rules girl" (that's what we're called lol) b/c the rules were just too much for me to handle. Plus I'd already broken some of the key rules since i've met AM...my current love interest and friend. So how could I go from "whatever happens, happen" to "rules girl" with the same guy?
Well, I vowed that I was gonna try it on him and if it starts turning ugly between us, I'd just come clean and tell him why I was acting so funny and hope that he and I could remain friends. So there I was, a month into our "casual dating relationship thing" and I'm starting the rules!! Now, I don't know who reads this...if anyone actually does, so I won't tell all the rules (can't have men knowing our little tricks now can we ;) ) but I tried one of the first rules...

Never call men and rarely return their phone calls.
What? Did that just say that I couldn't call AM? But....but ...but what if I wanted to talk? Well too bad for me huh. I tried this rule out on him. I am gonna try to do them all, but I fear that it is too late. But let me tell you what happened.

AM works at night like I've stated earlier. So we usually talk after 9, during his shift and when his minutes are free... ahhh.. so thrifty. Anyway, the reason I started with the don't call him rule is because it was one of the only rules that I was actually doing for the most part before I even read the book. Of course it was completely unintentional then!! I didn't call much then b/c I knew he was working, so I let him call me instead of me calling him. Since he called every night, it was really nothing I actually realized i was doing...or rather not doing. Well, after the book, I made a conscious effort not to call at all. He called me saturday night saying how sleepy he was, so we got off of the phone and I went to this little 30th b-day party @ my co-worker's apt. Well, I expected him to call me sunday night to shoot the breeze and ask me how my day went as he usually does every night. Well, AM didn't call.
Monday, I was off of work and he knew it. Usually we'll get together on the times one of us is free...but no call from him at all during the day. Mind you...he only goes to school on tues. and thurs. and he works at night...so all day monday, he was chillin at home...yet NO phone call. Monday evening, he didn't have to work. He told me that the friday before, but guess what? Yup, Mr. AM DIDN'T CALL. It's monday night and he hasn't called once since saturday evening...this is so unlike him. He always calls. By this time, Ms. Rules girl is going CRAZY. I wanted to pick up the phone a hundred times and just say hey. But I tried to stick to the rules. Tuesday rolls around and still no ring from AM. Finally at 10:30pm he calls and says, "Hey Stranger". Ahhhh a sigh of relief was the first thing I let out!! Then I felt kinda mad...I wanted to scream,"Why didn't you call"!!! But I didn't. I just said hey back and kept my cool. Of course he asked ME though. I didn't know what to say to that. I mean, I couldn't possibly tell him that I didn't call b/c I'm a "rules girl" and the rule book says I cant call men!! lol
So I just sit there for a minute and I said....

to be continued..gotta go... :)

No comments:

Intentional

Look at me being all intentional and stuff! lol I WILLED myself to remember and write in this blog before the year was out.  So proud that t...