Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Fighting Temptations

9:38 am

I'm walking from the restroom and see this big bowl of laffy taffys, sweet tarts, runts, and bottle caps for the taking. My oh my i have such a sweet tooth!! I grab a few of each and take it to my desk. I'm so hungry. I'll just eat that when i get back...
No wait... I'm fasting today. *having temper tantrum inside*

Okay...i'm good. I'll just put those in my desk and eat them tomorrow. Out of sight... out of mind, right? Whew! Close call. I almost gave up on my vow and it's not even 10am yet.

11:21am

co-worker: guuurl look at this. *bringing me a menu from this jamaican spot* don't that look good! We should go there.

me: *drooling and reading... mmm... chicken pieces shimmered with potatoes in our aromatic curry sauce* Wow... girl that sounds good.

co-worker: Yeah, let's go at noon. You down?

me: *contemplating* Uh... um.. err..see.. well... *looking at the jumbo wings for only $4* How about we go friday? We get paid then and we can really enjoy ourselves cuz...it's friday!

co-worker: Aight. Friday it is. I can't wait.

me: *mumbling* me neither, TRUST me.

12:23 pm
A good friend of mine decides to call on my lunch break... which was cool since i wasn't doing anything anyways... but while we're talking, she's like.. "hold on girl, i'm at burger king"... "uh can i get a whopper with cheese and ..."
LAWD LAWD. Help a sista. lol

1:15pm
I'm thinking YES! I've passed my normal lunch hour. I'm halfway there!! I'm jammin to Launchcast Gospel channel when I smell something AMAZING. I try to ignore it but it's sooooooo strong. *stomach growling* Frank (bka: homegirl), sashays over here and says,
"hey sway, did you eat? there's a TON of food out here, come get some!"

Ahh, so THAT's what I'm smelling. I walk right out of my officle only to find that we have free catered food at the break station which is RIGHT outside my office. And I'm not talking about those cute lil turkey sammiches and chips they usually serve us at meetings. No, No, NO!
I'm talking about salads, rolls, pastas, and some kinda of really delicious looking chicken contraption with sauteed onions, mushrooms, and squash. *drooling profusly* I left immediately. I knew i was in trouble. I came back to my desk to started on this post about my conspiracy theory on food and fasting. But the aroma was getting to me. So this is how a crackhead feels? I gathered. A sista was shakin, and breathin hard. You'd think after fasting for a while you'd get used to not eating... but NO. not.true. lol

Then Frank came around again talkin bout... "girl if you don't GO get some food!!"
So there he is ....at my desk waiting for me to get my tail up. I do. I grab a plate and hook it UP! Get to my desk and stare at it. Moment of truth. Am I gonna just end my fast early and tear into this deliciousness? I began to think, how could this lil stuff have so much control over me? I look at it and smile. When 8pm comes, I'mma tear that food up! lol
I cover it and place it on my desk behind me. Whew. I can't even lick the salad dressing? Man. Aight. I know. I can't. Thanks God for self control.

3:00pm
There's an ice cream social. It seems we ALWAYS have these on the days I decide to fast. lol. It's not quite 3 yet. But I've already decided that I shouldn't even go. I'm not THAT strong! lol

I guess that's why it's better not to even be in the presence of temptation when you can help it. Why do that to yourself? *shrug*

I guess the reason for this post wasn't to share with everyone that i'm fasting... but just to point out how slick the enemy think he is. He's always there to tempt you at your weakest hour. Always trying to make you break your vow to God. To cause you to renege on what you've told God you'd do. He wants to make you a liar. He wants you to bite the hand that feeds you. Oh how many times I've failed the test. I can count the numerous times i've given in with the excuse that "God knows my heart. He'll understand". But not today. I will be strong. I will prove to God that I need Him. That I can be trusted. That my word is bond. That I won't turn back. I'm determined. That even through adversity, He can count on me to do what I said i'll do. And even though this may not seem like much to others in the carnal... the principle is enormous in the spiritual. What I'm standing for goes beyond chicken and ice cream and a laffy taffy. It's about so much more. So I encourage each of you to push the plate back a day or two... pray everytime you feel hungry and think about food. Show God that you care more about what He has to say to you than how good that pasta salad would be going down your belly. A small gesture like that can open up a spiritual blessing like none you've ever imagined. Try it. Then tell me about it. :)

God Bless!

No comments:

Intentional

Look at me being all intentional and stuff! lol I WILLED myself to remember and write in this blog before the year was out.  So proud that t...