Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Holiday Wrap-up

Thursday Jan 3rd, 2008

I’m back at work and I’m soooo not feeling it. I’ve been waking up late everyday… staying out late every night. Eating everything in sight then burning it off with dancing. I NEED to be rich so that I can have this kind of lifestyle. This 8-5 thing isn’t for me.

I am met at work with loads of assignments. It may have been a new year, but it was the same ole work. People ooohh’d and aahhh’d when I walked by their desk. I forgot that they hadn’t seen my new blonde do…although it wasn’t that “new” anymore.

I had about a billion new emails to tend to and just about the same amount on my phone too.

“Hey Sway, Happy New Year’s love” A familiar male voice says. “I uh… just wanted to say hi. I know it’s been a while. Uh… give me a call when you get this. Aight. In a minute.” Click.

My heart beated a little faster. I played the message two more times.

It’s been quite a while since Chocolate Tease and I spoke. (remember him. Click here)

Since my “detoxificiation”, we hadn’t really kept in touch too much.

His voice took me back to ’04 and I couldn’t help but smile.

So that’s who called me the other day on my cell. I wonder why he didn’t leave a message?

I told myself I’d call him before I went out that night. All day I began wondering why after all these years…so conveniently after Usher and I decided to part ways, did he come calling me.

Don’t read too much into it Sway. I told myself. I have a way of over analyzing every word, action, pause, look…whatever! My good friend used to tell me “Sometimes a rose is just a rose Sway. Chill out!”

I get home and do my daily ritual of pulling off my work clothes and calling my mom to let her know that I’m home. I plop on the couch and scroll to his number. I press the call button.

“You have reached the voicemail of Sherrod. Please leave a message after the beep…”

Sherrod? Who the heck is Sherrod? I wondered.

I looked at the number in my phone. It looked the same as the one on my work phone. So I try it again. Same thing.

Puzzled, I hang up without leaving a message. I’ll just have to look at my work phone again tomorrow.

I pull up into the parking lot for the second Thursday in a row with my friends trailing behind me in their cars. They had the same crazy look on their face that I had last week.

"This is it?" My outspoken friend Trail questioned with one eyebrow raised.

Yup. I said as I breathed in the cold night air. Tonight I opted not to wear a skirt. If I was going to drop it like it’s hot like I did last week, I definitely needed some pants on. I chose some basic black stretch pants and a red shirt and belt revealing a black lace teddy underneath. My cousin was supposed to be coming with Mika again too. So it should definitely be fun with us rolling 7 deep.

I led the way in and strutted as if I do this all the time. I got the table in the front center and sat down. As soon as I looked over by the restroom, Brian was looking dead at me.
I waved to him and he waved back. He came over to the table as my friends settled into their new surroundings and slided his arm around my waist while kissing me lightly on the cheek.

"Hey Beautiful!" He exclaimed. Glad you could make it out tonight.

"Thanks. We’ll be over to see you in a minute." I wink.

He mouthed “thanks” and walked back to his spot. I made sure my girls took some pictures. I know the brotha needs a little extra money.

While we’re sipping on our drinks and chatting. My cell goes off again.

Chocolate Tease!!! I smile and answer the phone seductively.

“Hey you!” I coo. The music is loud and I have one hand over the uncovered ear. I began walking towards the door so that I could hear him better.

“Hey.” he says. “I saw that you called earlier. You look good. I didn’t know you would be here tonight.”

I could barely hear him, but I knew one thing… this wasn’t Chocolate Tease!

“Here? What are you talking about?” I said… stopping in my tracks and looking around.

A short guy at the bar waves at me and points to the phone by his ear as if seeing my confusion in this dimly lit place.

“It’s me. Desire!” He said as he got up.

Stunned, I put on the biggest fakest smile I could manage to offset my wrinkled brows and hung up.

How in the HECK did he get my number???? What is going on here? Was my number plastered on the mens stall or something?

He reaches me and tells me how he’s been trying to call me all week. Apparently my cousin gave him my number.

Go figure! She’s just giving out my number like it’s free food. Why didn’t she tell me about this when I talked to her the other day? I’m gonna hurt her when she gets here.

“I wanted to tell you that I liked your style” He whispered in my ear. “I was trying to get at you, but you seem like you’re never available.” He said in harsher tone.

What is up with these dudes?

“Well I AM busy. Plus, I had no idea you even HAD my number. You didn’t leave a message.” I retorted.

“I just figured you didn’t want to talk to me. Your cousin said she told you.” He looked around and waved to some of his collegues.

She needs to be beat.

We chat for a second about the fact that I’m not really trying to go out and then he tells me that he’ll give me a special dance during his show. I politely declined and went back to my seat.

Dang… I really was hoping that Chocolate Tease was on the other end. I must have read the number wrong.

The night started out pretty slow. It wasn’t as big of a crowd as the week before. Maybe because most of the women were back at work now. Nevertheless, the men that performed was on point. This one guy who didn’t perform last week had the attention of EVERY LADY there. His name was Bodacious. Homeboy climbed the wall like Spiderman! Like for real. No special effects. NOTHING! lol I felt that it was my duty to give him a few dollars. So I got up and went on the stage and put it right on his oily sweaty back.

About 30 seconds after I get to my seat, I feel warm breath on my neck and a voice saying “You don’t have to tip these negros in here. I’ll give you a private dance later if you want.” I snap my head around so fast to see Brian the Pictureman standing there.

This fool is crazy! I don’t want you grinding on me. I don’t know you!!

Between him and Desire, I didn't have as much fun as I did the week before. Everytime I clapped or gave up some money I could feel one or the other staring at me as if I'm cheating on them. I hate dudes that are possessive and I'm not even your girl. What's up with that?

The rest of the night scurried on. My cousin and her friend never showed. And it was probably for the best since I had some words for her. Desire performed and honestly, I saw about 3 other guys who did their thing waaaaaaaaay better than he. The way he had been hyping himself up, I thought that he was going to be the truth. Not so.

My girls really enjoyed themselves. This was a change of pace for us. We usually sit around at a Panera Bread and discuss the state of education and the black communities of today. lol

I pour myself into bed at about 1:30 that morning knowing that I had to be up in a few hours. This was the last big event for me for a while. My holidays were officially over. Now maybe life can get back to normal.

No comments:

Intentional

Look at me being all intentional and stuff! lol I WILLED myself to remember and write in this blog before the year was out.  So proud that t...