Sunday, January 09, 2005

Tryin to be like Mary J...

Last Wednesday 5:40pm

*celly rings again*

I knew it had to be either 'Tika or RP because all of the people close to me know not to call me on wednesdays because after work it's the gym and after the gym it's bible study. I look at the phone as i slide on my sports bra. Sure enough...RP's number is lighting up my screen. Taking a deep breath I say "hello?"

"Um...hey Sway. I know you're tired of me bothering you but I have one more question." 'Tika says in a shaky voice.

I could tell that whatever question she asks next was something she wasn't really prepared to hear the answer to. I felt kinda sorry for her even though she put me through MUCH hell back in the day. I know what it feels like to love someone you think is committed to you and all of a sudden feel like he's cheating. The sad part about this whole scenario is that RP HAS CHEATED...just not with me.

"Yeah... go 'head" I say as I anticipate her question. I sat down in the LA fitness locker room and looked at my watch. I had 5 minutes to get to my step aerobic class...but i had a feeling that depending on how i answered this question, I may have missed it.

"Is this the first time RP has contacted you?" She blurted out. Her voice cracked with pained memories that i know stays there constantly in the back of her mind...of a time when it was I asking her these same questions.

I wasn't quite sure what i should say. I knew if i told her no, she'd want to know how much we talked...and honestly, if she found that out...she would definitely think we were having an affair. 'Tika could never grasp the truth about RP and I...which is that no matter what happens...he and I will be friends for life. To her, I will always be someone that he will cheat with. But lying to her and telling her that this WAS the first time RP and I had spoke was not the answer either. I hate lying....especially when i'm innocent.

"Tika, i think that this is a matter that should be taken up with you and RP. I'm sorry. " I heard myself saying after a few quiet and uncomfortable seconds. This feels like Deja vu. I never thought I'd hear myself say the SAME thing that she told me 4 years ago. I was very upset at her for not telling me what was going on with them back then and I couldn't understand why she couldn't just talk to me woman to woman about it....but now it all makes sense.

It's not about me... or her for that matter. This is about him...and what he's doing. She needs to check HIM. It's THEIR relationship...so THEY should be the ones talking.

I heard her give me one of those "i know you didn't" sighs... and before she could snap on me... i hit the end button and locked my phone in the locker with the rest of my belongings. I'm not sure how many times she called back...but by the time I got out of Bible Study that night...my phone was not ringing. I hate drama...and Lord knows that I have had more than enough of my share. So I refuse to be in someone elses drama when I can just remove myself from it. I don't know what happened after that. She didn't call after that day...and neither has he. I give him till next week before he sneaks and calls. I'm just glad that nothing escalated out of that. If I can manuever myself outta all of the future situations i may encounter this year as i did that one... then 2005 will be a really good year. lol

No comments:

Intentional

Look at me being all intentional and stuff! lol I WILLED myself to remember and write in this blog before the year was out.  So proud that t...