Thursday, October 07, 2004

Becoming Whole... (healthy, happy, and holy)

It has become my morning ritual to turn on the Potter’s House while I’m getting ready for work. I’ve found that it’s a wonderful way to start my day. I get in a little daily Word, then I get in my car and pray, and then I get my praise on. There’s nothing like starting your day off right by thanking God for allowing you to get up that morning, and be in your right mind, and have activities and use of all your limbs and bodily functions, and having somewhere to sleep, something to eat, something to put on, and I thank Him for letting me know that it is Him who keeps me. We take so much for granted. I’m just grateful to have the opportunity to open my mouth in the mornings to say thanks because someone didn’t have that opportunity. Some one didn’t wake up this morning. Anyways…I didn’t mean to get all preachy. lol. So…

As I was driving to work this morning, I began thinking about what this lady on the Potter’s House said this morning. She was talking about how most of us focus on either one or two entities of our “being” instead of all three. I began to think about that. God has created us with 3 entities that define us as humans: our spirit, our soul, and our body.While some people would argue that our three entities are MIND, body, and soul, I beg to differ. I think the Body… or flesh part of us is the natural/physical/carnal/secular part of us. This shell that we call a body pretty much is self explanatory. It is of the earth and will ultimately go back to the earth. Honestly our body is the least important part of who we are, if you ask me. It’s used the most, but it’s the most dispensible. It’s dust. We will remain “beings” even after our body is gone.


The Spirit we possess comes from the unseen...the Spiritual Realm. We are born with a sinful nature... a worldly spirit. As we get older, we begin to possess the fruits of that worldly spirit: (sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies)(Gal 5:19-21) But when we choose to have a relationship with God, He gives us the Holy Spirit as a gift, and we began to possess the fruits of His Spirit: (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control)(Gal 5:22-23).

The Soul is what we generally think of as the true “US”. This engulfs our mind, our personality, our emotions/feelings, and everything else that makes us uniquely us! This is the part of us that decides what the body will do. It also decides which Spirit it will be lead by. The soul is what I think goes on after the body goes to the ground. I always think of the soul like… like the ego. You remember learning about the Id, Ego, and Superego right. (say yes, say yes!! lol) The body/flesh is like the Id. It seeks pleasure. It doesn’t care about right or wrong…it just wants what it wants. Then there’s the Spirit…which is like the SuperEgo… that gives us the “ideal”. It shows us what could be and what we “should do”. Then the Soul is like the Ego. It’s in the middle. It’s the “final decision maker”.

I think that once the Soul makes a decision, then the Spirit determines what the Soul does, and the Soul determines what the Body does.

Have I lost ya’ll yet? lol. Ya’ll know I’m a passionate God lover and a thinker who happens to be a psychology major AND has a LOT of time on her hands during her lunch break!! lol.

Alright lemme get back to my original point because all of that was pretty much not what I was trying to talk about! lol.

Now, we are made of Body Spirit and Soul right? Right. ( just go with me… I’m on a roll here.. lol)
Well God also created us to experience/know 3 (God loves the number 3...lol) worlds as well: The spiritual world, the psychological world, and the material world. These worlds can also be called: the world above us, the world within us, and the world around us, respectively.
Sometimes these three worlds are hard to live in simultaneously. You know.. like some of us work on our bodies in the gym all day long and we got about 3 or 4 degrees on our wall and making that 6 figure cheddar…but we are still unhappy inside because our spiritual life is in shambles. Which is why so many people feel empty and have no peace when they lay their “fine” bodies in their “silk” covered king size beds. Or some of us are at peace with our relationship with God and we’re steadily growing in Him, and He’s blessing us with the power to get wealth, so we’re prospering, but um, our body looks a hot mess. We don’t take care of our hygiene, or we are under/over weight, or we’re putting ourselves at risk for heart disease, cancer, diabetes etc… It’s like, we’ll work on one or two areas in our life, but working on all three simultaneously is too much of a hassle. But honestly when one is not right, the others are affected. That is why knowing Christ is so important. In Christ, we are rightly related to all worlds!!!

When we rightly relate our bodies (flesh) to the material world, we are healthy. We work it out, eat right, stay active, keep our hygiene up and etc. We look good and feel good just as God intended. When we rightly relate our soul to the psychological world we are happy. When our mind is at peace with what we are doing , when we make the right decisions about life, and when we know that no matter what, God is going to work it out for us, we stay happy just as God intended. And when we rightly relate our spirit to the spiritual world, we are Holy. When our soul chooses to listen to the Holy Spirit, we become Holy. Our Soul and Body submit itself to God just as God intended. So as we work on ourselves each day, let's try to remember that it is God's will for all of our lives that we ultimately experience all three worlds/realities with the best possible results: Health, Happiness, and Holiness. Only then can we become WHOLE.

No comments:

Intentional

Look at me being all intentional and stuff! lol I WILLED myself to remember and write in this blog before the year was out.  So proud that t...