Friday, December 07, 2007

Pastor's ain't always right (part 1)

I saw a video once. It was of a little girl with black and gold bows in her unruly hair. She was in the front of a group of about 15 people in a navy silk robe with a gold sash. She was the cutest little thing I’ve ever seen. I never knew they made choir robes that small. Anyways, someone in the background told her to sing. She was not the shy type. This four year old began to sing/shout the lyrics to one of DeLeon Richard’s songs. She was so animated that I was astonished looking at her. You could hear the crowd cheering her on, amazed too, that this little girl was so into this gospel song. It was as if Church was her life. Since I was that little girl, I can say that it always has been.

Looking back at the different stages of my personal journey with God, I can truly say that being in Church and having the support of others who’s also trying to mature their walk with God has been such a blessing. I’ve always loved being at Church. Every Sunday, Wednedsay and Friday I would wait outside of the car and listen to the drums from inside, while my mom took her precious time putting on her shoes. I would rush her every time because I couldn’t wait to get in. My entire life has been one big spiritual-fest. Always learning, always trying to understand, always seeking to get to the next level with my relationship.

We joined “The Light” in 1994 after my dad resigned from Pastoring at another Church in Metro Atlanta. It was quite a change of pace for us. The members of this Church were sooooo friendly. They wore smiles, makeup AND pants. This was shocking for me coming from a COGIC church. lol

The teenager that stepped into that church was much different than the little girl I saw in the video. I was quiet, and shy. Very softspoken and often observant. My mother however, hadn’t changed a bit.

My mom is a LEO to the fullest. Vibrant. Flashy and Full of Life. She’s a Take-Charge kind of woman and was ready to get involved as soon as she stepped foot in the Church. I’m sure a lot of people were like…”Who IS this woman?”lol

Our presence at the Church couldn’t go unnoticed. As I’ve stated, we were straight COGIC folks. My dad would run around the church in a heartbeat. My mom brought out her lone tambourine and would play it for every song. We stood out. So much so that the Bishop and his wife, the Pastor had to know who this “Lively” family was.

At first, everything seemed cool. They’d invite my parents out every so often to get a “feel” of them. And before you know it, we were part of the “in” crowd at church. It was as if we had been stamped with the seal of approval by the leaders, so now instead of just being friendly, we actually had “friends”. People would invite us out….keep us informed…talk to us… get us involved. For a few years, life was grand.

Then one day the Pastor asked my mother to head the Altar Ministry. My mother happily accepted. We didn’t know that this was the beginning of the end for us.


Next: Pastor’s ain’t always right (part 2)

No comments:

Intentional

Look at me being all intentional and stuff! lol I WILLED myself to remember and write in this blog before the year was out.  So proud that t...