Monday, June 05, 2006

Introducing: Usher

I’ve really been holding out on you guys. Not intentionally. Well…maybe a little bit. But I never really figured that my omission of one small person would actually be significant in my blog updates/stories/daily happenings.

*READ HERE ABOUT SECURITY GUARD*

What can I say, he kinda snuck up on me. If you would have told me in February that I’d actually like and want to spend my free time with the likes of him I would have probably laughed in your face. HARD.

It’s always been like that with me for the most part. The guys that I took one look at and was like, “he GOTTA be mine”, I end up getting to know and then realize how much I’m not feeling him. And the guys that I take one look at and be like “Something about him annoys me”, are the very ones that I end up getting closer to and really being cool with. Such is the case now.

I’m trying to figure out where to start… I guess the beginning won't hurt huh?

I should first start by changing his name from security guard to Usher, since he no longer works as a security guard here…and since as much as I despise Usher, the security guard actually favors him…A LOT. They got the same big ole head, same hair cut, same nose. Everything. Although security guard is taller than Usher and without the 6pack. lol It’s amazing how I can not be attracted to usher AT.ALL. But really dig the security guard. I guess personality really does change a person’s appearance for me.

Anywho…the security guard will now be referred to as Usher.

As I told you guys before, he and I used to flirt a lot when I dropped off my radio at the front desk each afternoon. I never planned to look into it anymore than it was… office eye candy. But soon he started coming to my desk 2-3 times a day, and calling me on my office phone. Ugh! I hated that. I though he was trying too hard. I had already told him that I wasn’t interested in anything but friendship. I was fresh out of a bad breakup and I was in no mood entertain the idea of starting something new. But Usher was persistent. He practically begged me for a date. I don’t wanna make it seem like he was a punk cuz he was real cool about it, but the brutha was NOT taking no for an answer. I finally gave in and we set our first date for the 3rd saturday in February. He told me that he got off work at 3 and asked if I minded picking him up since he was currently car-less.

Carless? Um… hmmm. I might be wrong, but I’ve never dated someone with out a car. Or a phone. Oh yeah…didn’t I mention that? If you read that last post about him, he actually didn’t have a phone # to give to me. *smh* I was liking him less and less. It’s probably shallow huh? I’m supposed to look inside at who he is and not what he has right? um…no. Been there…done that. The older I get, the more I realize that I date to find a life partner, and it’s gonna take more than a good personality for us to get through life comfortably. Anywho, I digress. I told him okay since I had already agreed to go and that was that.

I picked him up at work one Saturday afternoon and we went to chili’s for what I call a “lunch and learn”. I was still NOT feeling him. He was cool, but something about him just irked me. I guess I was used to how TG and I interacted and Usher was soooooo different. I didn’t like it. I wasn’t ready to date. In fact, the more I sat there, the more I realized how much I wasn’t ready for this. After lunch I asked him where he would like to be dropped off. I don’t think he liked that too tough. lol He thought we were spending the entire day together. I was tired of him though. So we sat in the car for 5 minutes as he pleaded with me to go to underground with him for a little while, and then I could leave. I sighed and said okay.

Weird as it sounds, once we got there, I actually had fun with him. He bought us these key chains with our respective birthdates/sign on them. It was small, but I’m sentimental like that… I still have the “Jane” key chain my high school boyfriend bought me. (we used to joke about how our names were so different that we’d never find anything with our name on it. So we “changed” our name to Jim and Jane and bought key chains, necklaces, cards and etc…with our new names. I know…cheesy. lol)

I dunno. Something about Usher irked me, yet something about him made me smile when he wasn’t looking.

As we walked through underground, he began thanking me for allowing him to spend time with me. He began to explain his current situation and how he was recently divorced and moved from Kentucky to Atlanta two weeks prior to starting at ACS. He began to explain to me how he knows how it must look for a 30yr. old to not have a car, phone, etc… but he assured me that though he’s having to rebuild everything he worked so hard for in Kentucky, it won’t be long before he’ll be able to be a suitable enough date for me.

I smiled as I thought to myself… “I always get the men with the sob stories”. I felt mean for thinking that. I mean, it’s not all his fault he’s finding himself starting over at 30. Divorce can do that to you. But at the same time, this seems to be the story of my dating life. *shrug*

Well I wasn’t trying to date him anyways, so I smiled and softened a little bit though. At least I know WHY he was without, and that this was just a temporary state, not a place he’s been for 2-3 years. So we talked more and I left.

I still didn’t like him too tough, but at least it wasn’t as horrible as I thought.

The following Monday after lunch, I find a red heartshaped balloon tied to my chair. The note attached to it read:

Dearest Sway,
Thanks for a wonderful Saturday. Hopefully I’ll be the one to make you finally Exhale.
678-***-****
Officer Usher



“So he has a new phone.”
I thought. Hmmmm. Maybe I’ll give him a call one day. *shrug*



Next blog- The showdown: Why dating a co-worker could lead to some drama…

No comments:

Intentional

Look at me being all intentional and stuff! lol I WILLED myself to remember and write in this blog before the year was out.  So proud that t...