Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Workplace Drama

I’ve never been good at saying no. I’ve heard the “you’re too nice” line so much, it should be my middle name.
So it’s no surprise that after my first date with Usher, his confidence and interest in me became stronger. I mean after all, I DID give him a date…so in his eyes, I MUST be feeling him on some level right? *shrug*
He made it his business to frequent my desk during the day, and I made it mu business to try and act busy so he’d leave. He never got the hint. He’d come up with a new topic for us to discuss everyday. I must admit, brutha can spit some knowledge. He knew a little something about everything. Without even realizing it, I started to look forward to our conversations. That was…until the conversation turned from some general topic to “So, why you don’t wanna date a brutha?” Ugh! He HAD to mess up a perfectly good time with that mess.

Our leo traits kept us at odds with each other. We never agreed on anything. If he thought it was blue, I thought it was purple. If he liked coffee, I couldn’t stand it. Everyday we’d go at it until one of us got frustrated. I’m not sure why I enjoyed it. I guess it was refreshing to interact with someone who isn't trying to like what I like in order to spit that “we have so much in common” noise in my ear.

A few weeks had passed and I didn’t even realize how comfortable I had become with us seeing each other and talking everyday day. We began coordinating our schedules to maximize our talk/debate time and soon it was noticeable to everyone around us that something was up with us. I didn’t see it then, but he did. And everyone else did too.

Usher is a nice looking guy. I won’t take that away from him. So needless to say, Usher had his fan base. Anytime a new black single err…scratch that…a new black man is hired, you better believe every single black heterosexual woman is up ON it. I heard the women in the bathroom back in Septemeber talking about the new security guard and how fine he was. I saw how people who never even knew we had security was all of a sudden making visits to the front desk to “check out” the new guy.

Quite naturally when they began seeing us together, speculation occurred. Inquiring minds wanted to know what was up. Eye gazes fell on us a little longer than usual. Women who didn't usually talk to me would stop by my desk, convienently at the time Usher was there to ask me can they borrow my stapler... *eye roll* It was deep. I didn't pay it too much mind until this incident with Candy happened.

Candy: Hey Uuuuusher! *opening her arms for a hug*
Usher: Hey Miss Lady what’s going on. *dodging hug with a half hug/shake*
Candy: U heading to lunch?
Usher: Yeah, going with my friend. *pointing behind her, towards me*
Candy: *startled, cuz she didn’t see me there* Oh. *frowning momentarily, then quickly regaining her flirty composure* Well, I’ll see you later. You working til 9?
Usher: Yeah. *walking towards me*
Candy: Okay. Uh…see ya.
Usher: yup.

Me: Hmmm... Looks like you already got someone to kick it with. What u chasin me for? lol

Usher: Man whatever. She been trying to get me to take her out since I started working here. I went out with her once, we chilled, smoked, and she was cool, but that was that. From time to time, we still smoke together but that’s it. To be honest with you, Sway. I like to be the chaser. Yeah it’s flattering. I ain’t gone lie… she fine. But if I wanted her, I’d have holla’d at her, not the other way around. Smell me?

Me: yeah, yeah, yeah whateva. i like the way you dodged that hug though. lol. You didn’t have to do that on my account. We ain’t dating. (I had to say that at least twice a day to remind him)

Usher: Naw it’s not that. It's like, I only pursue one person at a time when I’m interested in someone, no one else gets any play. She was cool to hang with when I got here…but since I met u, no one else gets my attention. Whether we're *mimicking me* “dating or not”.


Later that day. (so I’m told)

Candy: Hey Usher.
Usher: Hey
Candy: So is that the girl everyone talking about u dating?
Usher: I didn’t know everyone was talking. When did I get so important. *poppin collar*
Candy: U didn’t answer my question, what’s up with you and ole girl?
Usher: Nothing yet. We just kicking it.
Candy: oh. So that IS her huh? She so quiet. I can’t believe ya’ll talking
Usher: We not talking yet. We…
Candy: Yet? So you trying to talk to her?
Usher: Hell yeah! She’s a real nice girl. Why you in my business anyway guul? lol
Candy: *sigh* Whatever, so we smoking friday or what?
Usher: Naw. Can’t do that no mo’. Might wanna find you a new smoke partner.
Candy: U for real? Ya’ll ain’t even dating!
Usher: Yup. Gotta get back to work.
Candy: *storms off*

A few days later.

Usher: Hey Sway…
Me: Hey! *hearing the anger in his voice* What’s wrong?
Usher: You won’t believe this bull****! I just got suspended from work!
Me: Huh? What u mean suspended?
Usher: Theses mutha******* suspended me on some bull****! You know Candy on the 3rd floor? Well her lying azz just told my boss that I sexually harassed her. SEXUALLY HARRASSED her! Can u believe that? Talkin ‘bout I told her she looked nice today and it offended her. So now they are suspending me without pay to “investigate” the matter. This is some bull. I ain’t said s*** to her! You can ask Laura… since the first day I began working here, Candy been flirting with me. Hasn’t she? *hearing Laura in the background, "Yuuup."* And now she see me kicking it with you all the time she gone start some mess. It’s aight though. I’mma say something to her. She dead azz wrong for that.
Me: Dang, I'm sorry to hear that. *crickets* I’m thinking… sexual harassment. Daaaaaaaaang. That’s as helluva charge. I didn’t really know what else to say.
Usher: It’s all good though. Truth will come out. Bet that!

Two weeks go by and Usher and I communicate only through phone. I kinda miss him being here. He's asked me to come over to his crib, but i refused. Just cuz i miss our convo does NOT mean i'm trying to be at his crib like that. *rolling eyes at him* The Friday before the 3rd week of suspension, he calls me saying that Candy retracted her statement by stating that she was mearly trying to inform Usher's boss that he is sometimes “flirty” with staff, but he never harassed her and she didn’t want to press charges, or get him fired or anything. She just saw how he interacted with the “STAFF HERE” (ie. Me) and figured that he was not as professional as he should be.
His boss of course told him to be at work Monday morning and that was that.

Usher was HOT. He had missed 2 weeks worth of funds for this bull. And no one even offered him an apology for it. Nothing. So he came back, made a big scene and got his behind FIRED. lol *lawd lawd lawd...smh*

I knew it was coming though. Usher is a hothead. His temper can consume anyone within 50 feet at a moments notice. So when he told me about everything that happened and how he was coming back on Monday to “say his peace”… I knew that it would be his last day here.
He did too. He already started looking for another job after the first week of suspension. lol

Things actually became more interesting between us once we stopped working together. If I was gonna see him, I'd have to do it outside of work now. *shrug*

And I made a mental note to myself after that whole episode: Don’t get on Usher’s bad side.

He was intense... and I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

Next blog- Past vs. Present

No comments:

Intentional

Look at me being all intentional and stuff! lol I WILLED myself to remember and write in this blog before the year was out.  So proud that t...