Friday, November 18, 2005

There's no place like home...

Last Friday Night/ Saturday Morning
TG’s Place


“Miss Sue-quala…. Are you gonna spend the night with us and my daddy?”

“No baby girl, I’m going to my house. I’ll be back in the morning.”

“Well, how u getting home?”
She asks loudly.

“I’m gonna drive.” I say as I play with her beaded hair.

“Miss Sue-quala… it’s late. Can we take you home?”

“Haha…awww that’s sweet babygirl, but naw I’m gonna….”

“Yes babygirl, we’re taking her home”
TG chimes in after zooming by with a load full of clean clothes.

“Let daddy fold these clothes and ya’ll put on ya’ll coats so we can take her home”

I look at him from the living room sofa. He’s tired and I know it. He just drove back from getting them from Columbus and it’s now 2 am Saturday morning. Arguing with this man is like arguing with a rock. No matter how many good points I have, he still ain’t hearing it. I put up a small fight by strolling into the bedroom and joining him in his folding frenzie.

“Baby, I know you’re tired. I can drive myself. I’ll call u as soon as I get home.”

“Uh-uh”
He shakes his head. “It’s late, and you look just as tired as I do. Besides, I’m already up. I’ll just take you home and come get you in the morning.”

“But baby, the kids already took their baths…and babygirl's already coughing. I don’t want her out in this wea...”

“Sway! If you fall asleep at the wheel, I would never forgive myself. Stop arguing with me. I’m taking you home. End of discussion”

_________________

9 am Saturday Morning
My Place



“There she is! Yay!”
lil TG exclaims while climbing from the front seat to the back with babygirl.

“Hey lil TG!” I say while giving him a hug.

“ Is this where you live?”

“Yup” I said getting into MY car that they picked me up in.

“oh… It’s faaaaaar from us!” He exclaims!

“Yeah it is”

_____________

About 4pm Saturday afternoon
Just getting back from Burlington Coat factory



“My momma said that after December comes and goes away and the next month that comes… that next time in January, I'm gonna live with my daddy and I’m never going to Columbus again!”

“Oh really?” I question lil TG casually as we walk up the driveway.

“Yup” he hyperly chirps.

“And how do you feel about that?” I say

“Good! I like staying with my daddy”

“Well that’s good.” I smile, and put my hand on his head.

_____________

4:30ish Saturday afternoon
TG’s kitchen

“Baby I’m so tired. I'm about to drop! I need to take a nap. Come take a nap with me.”

I look at him as he stirs the cheese grits for lil TG. I know he’s tired. These chilluns of his are HYPER. He drove down and back from Columbus last night…then took me home. Then was up at 7 on a Saturday…drove BACK to get me…and have been luggin us around all day. This man is superman. I was actually a little tired myself. Babygirl wore me out!

“Alright…lemme check on babygirl and lil tg.” I warmly reply.

I dry my hands and head to the living room to check on the kids. Lil TG was watching cartoons and playing with the ball he won at Stevie B’s.

“Where’s babygirl?” I ask TJ.

He seemed startled. I guess the TV was kinda loud and I didn’t make much noise upon entering the room. He shrugged. I did a quick scan of the room… she wasn’t there.

“Babygirl?” I called… looking in the restroom, washroom and going back to the kitchen.

TG had vanished from the kitchen, grits still hot. I saw his bedroom door open and the blacklight on. I peep in to ask him if he’d seen babygirl.
She was asleep on my side of the bed. Man! No cuddling action today.

“Um…why is babygirl in our bed?” I whispered.

TG sleepily shrugged. He’d changed into some sweats and a wife beater.

“I’mma give lil TG these grits, then we’ll come back and figure out the sleeping arrangements.”

“Alright”
I sigh.

Babygirl is smart. She knew what she was doing. She likes me… but she still wants to be the center of her daddy’s attention. I guess daddy was spending a little to much time with me. She wanted to make sure we didn’t get “too friendly” while she was there.

“Okay, lil TG’s all set. U wanna sleep next to babygirl or you want me to?”

I’ve seen how miss thang sleeps. I quickly blurted out “YOU!”

“I knew you’d say that” TG smirked.

He climbed in bed..then motioned me to snuggle up against him. I followes his instructions. I was thankful for his queen size bed. We all slept comfortably for a few hours.


Few hours later

Daddy! Wake up! I feel better now.”

A groaning TG rolled away from me and told babygirl to use the restroom while he make her some grits.

Sensing that we were now awake, lil TJ comes in just as babygirl was crawling over us to get off the bed.

“Ya’ll all slept in here?” He questioned

“Yup” babygirl smiled.

“Where did sue-skwaylas sleep?” He asked.

“Right there” babygirl pointed, while holding her teddy bear. “And I slept over there. Daddy slept in the middle.”

“Oh” lil TG said as he and babygirl looked at me.

I wondered what they were thinking. This is the first time they’d ever seen me sleep there. This is the first time they’d ever seen TG and I openly affectionate towards each other. We usually don’t even hug when they are around.


Sunday Evening
TG’s car on the way to back to Columbus
(I was home)

“So, how do you like Miss Sway?”

“I like her. She’s nice” lil TG says nonchalantly.

“Well good.” TG smiles. Because she’s gonna be living with us when you come to live here next year.

Silence.

“Is that okay with you?” TG concernly questions.

Lil TG nods. “Yeah.”

“So what about mommy. Is she coming too?” He wonders after a few minutes of thinking.

“No. Mommy is staying down here. But you can see her whenever you like. Is that cool?”

“yeah” lil TG says.

“Just me, you, and su-skwaylas?” He asks again.

“Well babygirl too most likely”. TG says.

“Oh” lil TG laughs. “Okay that’s cool.”


And there you have it. Beginning next year… Sway will have her family... all living under one roof. I feel so blessed.

No comments:

Intentional

Look at me being all intentional and stuff! lol I WILLED myself to remember and write in this blog before the year was out.  So proud that t...